Sunday, September 9, 2012
“In 1639, nine years after the arrival of Gov. Winthrop with the charter of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, settlements were begun in Lynn Village near the shore of Lake Quannapowitt. At that time there were only seventeen towns in the Colony and they had only recently been given the right to elect officers, pass by-laws and give title to land within their borders.” p.1
Remember, in 1651, the Court granted to the inhabitants of Redding, two square miles north of the Ipswich River that became the Second Parish – now North Reading. Remember also, North Reading, North Parish and Second Parish are names for the same location. ”In 1658, the land north of the River was divided among the forty-five inhabitants of Redding, few of whom settled in the North Parish but sold their land to settlers who came from Salem and Danvers. The Town of Redding later gave one-half of Sadler’s Neck, south of the River, to six proprietors of the Second Parish.” p.3
Howard, Loea Parker. Ancient Redding in Massachusetts Bay Colony; its planting as a Puritan village and sketches of its early settlers from 1639 to 1652. (1944). Internet Archive
Friday, June 8, 2012
1 large grassy field
½ dozen children
2 or 3 small dogs
Pinch of brook and small pebbles
Mix children and dogs well together and put them in the field, stirring constantly.
Pour the brook over the small pebbles and sprinkle the field with flowers.
Spread a deep blue sky over all and bake in a hot sun.
When thoroughly browned, remove and set to cool in the bathtub.
Taken from page 16
North Parish Bicentennial Fair Booklet
Union congregational Church
December 5-6 1975